In my previous blog post, I wrote about the rise of test automation in organizations and how ISTQB® (International Software Testing Qualification Board) can meet the growing demand for software testers. In today’s blog, I would like to elaborate a bit more on this software training portfolio. In particular, I’d like to explain how you, as a training or consulting organization, can benefit from it and increase business opportunities in your markets.
The Challenge with Software Testing
Sourcing and retaining skilled software testing labor has become a challenge. And it will remain a challenge as the demand for these skills continues to beat the supply. What is the value of software testing? How does providing training on software testing create a competitive edge for you?
Bringing in the ISTQB Expert
In order to provide you with a good understanding of what ISTQB is, I sat down with the expert, Michiel van der Voort, Executive Director at iSQI to ask him a few questions. We brought a camera crew along so you can listen and benefit from his answers.
What Is ISTQB and Who Is It For?
Basically, anyone working in software testing will be interested in ISTQB training. The core training includes three levels:
- The Foundation-level qualification is primarily aimed at professionals who need to demonstrate practical knowledge of the fundamental concepts of software testing. This includes people in roles such as test designers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and IT Professionals.
- The Advanced-level qualification is aimed at people who have achieved an advanced point in their careers in software testing. This includes people in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers and software developers.
- The Expert-Level qualification extends the knowledge and experience obtained at the Advanced Level by providing in-depth, practically-oriented certifications in a range of different testing subjects. The Expert Level ISTQB qualification offers career paths for testers with clearly defined business outcomes.
Earlier this month ISTQB announced new modules and structure to the certification program.
The new structure breaks down the ISTQB certification program into three streams, one includes these core certifications, while the new two streams offer specialist and agile qualifications. Agile Tester qualification aligns test processes with Agile development concepts and has just been released in the ITpreneurs course library!
The exams are delivered globally by iSQI (International Software Quality Institute) for all levels and are available in various languages.
Why Offer ISTQB Training?
- ISTQB is intended for software testers but also people from the business, product and operations side will benefit. Offering software testing training is a great opportunity to add software testing knowledge to those working in business analysis requirement engineering. As such, you can create a demand for software testing training for new roles.
- You deliver quality training, accredited by ISTQB.
- Consultants who are ISTQB certified offer higher-level services to customers, increasing revenues and brand value.
Where Do You See The ISTQB Market Opportunities?
ISTQB is the de facto standard in the certification of software testing competences and it is a mature niche market. There is a growing interest in the market for software testers as more and more organizations develop web and mobile apps to interact with their customers and to provide a good quality of services. Apps rely on IT and it is accepted in today’s society.
Here are some interesting facts:
- Approximately 340,000 certified in total, worldwide
- 16,000 new certifications issued every quarter (+13% YOY)
- 85% of the certifications issued are the Foundation Level
- Key markets: UK, NL, US, Germany, India, Australia
About the author
More than 10 years of experience in managing business-oriented marketing programs globally, in large, small and complex organizations. Proven track record of managing projects in fast-paced, multicultural and international high-pressured environments. I am passionate about learning new things, connecting people, and incessantly looking for ways to do things differently and holistically.
Along with strong decision-making, I am developing effective marketing & communication strategies, building-up high performing targets and long-term customer relations.